Sunday, March 29, 2009

kids will surprise you

Each time I have the kids for a full weekend we're given a grocery list and need to get everything on it before the weekend starts. My list last weekend consisted of granola bars and frozen lasagna, spaghetti and frozen garlic bread, and all sorts of other things that really can't be good for the kids. As I also mentioned before, I got yogurt for smoothies. I realized later that the cheapest yogurt is the worst yogurt. It has a ton of HFCS. But we only added a small amount compared to the amount of fruit and fresh OJ so I guess it wasn't that bad.

Friday night I had my partner take our older girls to the grocery store to pick out what they wanted for the next day. I know they're healthy eaters and nothing healthy was on my grocery list. These girls are all 12 to 15 years old. The bought supplies to make two different types of salad. All I can say is WOW! We had a spinach and dried cranberry salad and a traditional dinner salad with chicken. At that age I would have chosen spaghetti or pizza anytime over salad.

Next time I might just hold off on the grocery list and let them help out more. For the first time in weeks we didn't have bacon and hashbrowns for breakfast or PB&J for lunch. Its very exciting to see what kids choose with a little bit of freedom.

No comments: